President Biden released the National Strategy for the COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness (fact sheet). He concurrently signed 10 executive orders aimed at ramping up COVID testing and vaccinations, tightening enforcement of workplace and school safety rules and increasing federal funding to states. These executive orders include:
- Invoking the Defense Production Act (DPA) to increase the supply of all the materials needed to get the vaccines into arms and ramp up testing.
- Directing the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) to increase federal reimbursement to states and Tribes from 75 percent to 100 percent of the cost for National Guard personnel and emergency supplies.
- Creating the COVID-19 Pandemic Testing Board, to be tasked with expanding testing capacity.
- Directing studies, including large-scale randomized trials, to identify treatments for COVID-19 and to ensure that such studies address the needs of diverse populations, bolstering health care provider capacity, and promoting insurance coverage of COVID-19 treatments and care.
- Tracking and analyzing data from state, local, Tribal and territorial governments on COVID-19 data and creating a public dashboard with real-time data on cases, testing, vaccinations and hospital admissions.
- Providing guidance on safe reopening and operation of schools and educational institutions as well as workplace safety.
- Imposing a mask-wearing mandate on airplanes and other forms of interstate transportation.
- Deploying FEMA to set up 100 community vaccination sites in the next 30 days and establishing a federal pharmacy program to make vaccines available in communities.
- Establishing a COVID-19 Health Equity Task Force to ensure an equitable pandemic response and recovery.